We are glad to present our customer’s find of a numismatic treasure – a witness to early currency reforms and noticeable effects on present world currencies: Several silver coins identified as Spanish Dollars were detected with the ground scanner OKM Rover C II in northern Peru and can be dated back to the late 16th century.
Pieces of Eight: The Basic Concept of World Currencies
The numismatic value of this find is fascinating in many respects: The coins became a popular trade currency of the Spanish Empire and still have impact on the designation of the present dollar. The discovery and conquest of mineral wealth in Peru and Mexico in the 15th and 16th century empowered the Spanish Empire and initiated early monetary reforms. One of the most famous silver coins of that time is the ‘Piece of Eight’, named after its divisibility into several bits. This concept is still common for breaking down currency values such as the US-Dollar into Half Dollar and Quarter Dollar.
Treasure Hunters’ Serendipity and OKM’s Technical Expertise
Thanks to its powerful performance and various special features, the multi-purpose metal detector Rover C II identifies hidden cavities and precious metal objects in different types of terrain: such as the silver coins which were found in the Sechura Desert approx. 60 cm (1.97 ft) deep – deeper than conventional detectors are able to explore.
The 3D ground scanner Rover C II combines metal detection with geo-electrical measurement in order to:
- localize and visualize position, depth and size of treasures, tombs and cavities
- discriminates between ferrous and non-ferrous metals
- detect coins and metal artifacts in high depths.
Simplify your Treasure Hunting Experience
More multi-purpose. More easy-to-handle. More treasure hunting success: OKM’s solution combines metal detector, ground scanner and 3D visualizer by adding special features to its earlier generations Rover C II and Rover Gold – and is called Rover C4:
- combines ground scanner, pin pointer, mineral scanner and magnetometer
- provides multilingual user interface and touch screen
- includes memory function and wireless data transfer
- locates precious metals in high depth with Super Sensor
- identifies and localizes treasure objects
- immediately visualizes finds with LED-orbit technology
- calculates object dimensions with 3D Visualizer.
Enhance your treasure hunting experience with metal detectors by OKM!
Share your Success Stories with OKM
You are treasure seeker, archaeologist, historian or detectorist? Share your experience with treasure hunting equipment and send us your success stories. We look forward to learning about your discoveries and treasure finds.